Monday, June 6, 2011

Inspirational Story of American girl who builds school

Last night I watched (and read) about Maggie Doyne - a 23 year old who set up a school in Nepal and took in 30 orphans on her own. It was very inspirational.

It had me thinking more about what can I give, rather than get. I realized I was operating under a "get-mentality", but as it wasn't about getting material items or prestige, it quietly slipped in under the guise of, "I need an environment, intentional community, or ashram to help me cultivate mindfulness outside the chaos of NYC."

But in that, it was still making the chaos wrong and linking my identity to that chaos - and making my joy dependent on getting myself out of that chaos. In that sense, this is not very different than the desire for money or prestige to "make me better" - just dressed up in holy robes. So, until the day comes where I leave this city, NYC is my teacher.

if you want to be inspired:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/01/maggie-doyne-blinknow-nepal_n_869906.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home